10 till midnight—here’s my listicle. The best of 2017 on my end:
Best food I had:
1) A spaghetti at Chicago’s Tesori restaurant containing pea, shoots, fennel pollen, garlic, fresno peppers, lemon, and pecorino romano.
2) A masoor daal (kaali daal) that my mom makes which she’s altered to include curry leaves and tamarind. oh my goodness, it’s good.
3) A salad an antie in aramco made earlier this year. It had coarsely cut parsley (like in tabouleh), chopped green apple, chopped bananas, and pomegranate with a yogurt-mayo-lemon dressing.
4) “Cowgirl” maki roll at Blue Sake Sushi Grill — pickle vegan tempura, sriracha-fried onion rings, vegan mayo, bbq paper. Possibly the best sushi I’ve had.
Best dessert I had:
1) Bobby Flay’s Cinammon-Maple-Oat Biscotti (thanks Sofia!)
2) Rock Sugar restaurant’s Caramelized Banana Custard Cake — Milk Chocolate Ice Cream, Malted Creme Anglaise and Nut Brittle
Best TV show I saw:
Sherlock, hands up, hands down.
Best movie(s) I saw:
1) Dangal (Hindi)
2) Jawani Phir Nahi Aani (Pakistani)
3) The Darkest Hour (English)
Best documentary I saw:
Pakistan’s Hidden Shame
Best ad(s) I saw:
1) Star Plus “mat kar”:
2) Conservation International ad series:
3) Norwegian ad:
Best book I read:
The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny
Best songs I heard:
1) PAF songs redone by Junaid Jamshed
2) Jamie’s Song by Sylvan Esso
3) Interlude by Alice and the Glass Lake / Rebecca Spektor on Eminem’s Revival
Best article I read:
Best lesson learned:
Nothing can change people like loving them can.